It might not look like one of the fancy, paid SEO tools you’re used to logging into, however Excel remains one of the most flexible and effective tools in an SEO expert’s tool kit.
You can use Excel to track and examine crucial metrics such as rankings, website traffic, and backlinks.
Use it to produce and upgrade meta tags, track and analyze competitors’ SEO strategies and efficiency, construct automated reports, and take care of a number of the data tasks you’ll come across every day.
Combine your Excel knowledge with Python, Tableau, R, and other tools, and there is absolutely nothing you can’t do.
If you’ve never dealt with data previously, you’ll find Excel has a little bit of a learning curve, but you can use it right from the start. And it’s versatile enough to scale and grow as your website grows.
Why Excel For SEO Tasks?
While numerous paid tools can assist you do the very same jobs, Excel is a great alternative to improve, combine, or replace those tools.
- It’s inexpensive and includes a series of tools you currently use.
- There are a ton of resources and courses to help you find out.
- Quickly handles big amounts of data.
- Arranging and de-duplicating– a function often missing out on when you need it.
- Produce and manage databases with basic solutions.
- Information ports quickly to other tools and is available for other jobs.
- Pivot tables and smart charts.
1. Combine Multiple Information Sources
You will often discover yourself needing to combine information from multiple sources.
This is instinctive and quick in Tableau, Python, or R, but you can do the very same in Excel using Power Inquiry.
There are a few actions to this procedure, however it’s not as made complex as you might believe– even if you are new to working with information or Excel.
Power Inquiry has actually automated and streamlined jobs that needed a great deal of time and ability.
And it is probably THE best Excel feature for organization and SEO professionals.
Seem a bit daunting? Don’t stress. There are numerous courses and tutorials on Buy YouTube Subscribers to get you began.
What It’s Good For:
- Structure reports.
- Analytics and sales data.
- Integrating information sources to determine chances and gain insights.
2. Data Cleaning up
Much of your time is lost merely preparing information for analysis. It does not need to be that way.
Big lists are frequently bigger than they require to be. Finding and manually removing all the duplicates, however, can be a severe discomfort.
Excel can do this quickly for you. Simply go to the “Information” tab and click “Get rid of Duplicates.”
Screenshot from Excel, January 2023.
Undesirable spaces and blank lines tend to trigger havoc with lots of tasks, formulas, and statistics. Excel will remove them for you
merely by going to Edit > Find > Go To. Select”Unique, “”Blanks,”and tell Excel how it should handle them.”Convert text to columns “can be a lifesaver, specifically if you’ve received data where the addresses or names are all in the very same cell or you require to extract domains from e-mail addresses.
Go to Data > Text to Columns. Then, indicate what to use for Delimiters (comma or area) and sneak peek the outcomes. When you’re ready, click “Next,” choose a location, and click “Complete.”
When To Use It:
- Data analysis.
- Information processing.
- Processing and cleaning lead databases.
- Working with any data.
3. Power Excel With Add-On Tools
Some of the more complicated jobs, such as crawling, need a bit of coding knowledge.
If you don’t have that in your skillset, however, there are tools you can download, incorporate with other tools, and include on.
Screenshot from SEOTools, January 2023. SEOTools offers off and on-page
SEO tools, integrations, adapters, spiders, and a number of other tools that make it easy to tailor your Excel and produce custom-made projects. SEOGadget brings the power of Moz,
Grepwords, and Majestic to Excel. Analysis ToolPak is for major data analysis.
This add-on improves and automates extensive statistics, perfect for forecasting, trending, regression analysis, and more complex data analysis tasks you may otherwise perform in R or Python. When To Utilize It: Reporting. Routine information analysis. Presentations.
- coordinating with
- other groups.
- Infographics And Charts Information is useless if you can’t
understand it. In truth, data visualization and storytelling are likely a few of the most crucial skills you can have. This is where tools like Power Query and PivotTables come in. Built right into Excel, pivot tables are the other important tools you have for this purpose. Nevertheless, instead
of just producing a straight pivot table and an associated chart, save yourself some steps by creating a master”design template”first that you can then duplicate as needed and adjust to suit your needs. Screenshot from Excel, January 2023. In many instances, nevertheless, you will need to work with dates or sections of the information. For that, you’ll wish to get in splicers and timelines.
- To splice information into sections: Select the pivot table and go to PivotTable Tools > Examine > Filter > Insert Slicer. Then, simply input how you want to sector the material (e.g., by item or subject).
- To use timelines: Click the pivot table’s tools option, go to Examine > Filter > Insert Timeline. Once there, you can choose what you ‘d like to use, design it, add captions, and more.
If you have actually never ever utilized Excel’s PivotTables before, a short tutorial will have you on your way to examining data in no time.
Still want a little more? Make your reports, social media, and updates even much better by upping your data visualization game with add-ons like People Chart.
When To Use It:
- Daily updates.
- Surface data analysis.
- Team collaboration and combination.
5. Automate Common Tasks With Macros
SEO, particularly company SEO, has plenty of repeated jobs like weekly reporting that take in much of your time. Excel’s macros are the response. And they’re really easy to utilize.
Under the “View” tab, click “Macros” and “Record Macro.”
Screenshot from Excel, January 2023. Complete the information. The macro is now tape-recording. So, merely walk through the steps that you ‘d like to automate. And when you’re done, go back to the ribbon and stop the recording. When you’re all set to run the automation, go to the macro button in
the ribbon, click”View Macros, “and pick the preferred macro from the list. If you have some macros that you use more often than others, you can add them to
the Quick Access Toolbar. When To Use It: Arranging. Estimations. Reformatting information. Establishing new site documents or new
pages for reports
- Easily Import Feeds
- And Data Into Excel If you use Google Informs or publish frequently, instantly importing feeds into Excel
can be a big time saver. To begin, merely get the RSS feed address.(Or, create an alert for Google Alerts and have them provided as an RSS feed.) Screenshot from Google Sheets, January 2023.< img src=" https://cdn.searchenginejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/importing-rss-feeds-into-google-shees-for-excel-63c666c37ad23-sej.png "alt="Importing rss feeds into google sheets for excel"/ > Then, go to Google Sheets and utilize the IMPORTFEED function to bring the updates straight into a spreadsheet.
Alternatively, you can include the details to separate columns.
Screenshot from Google Sheets, January 2023. From here, you can routinely download and import the data into Excel, combine it with other associated data, or integrate it into your customized dashboards. If you require something a little more automatic, use Google Apps Script or among the add-ons offered to automate the process. Want a little bit more data behind your reports? You can scrape and import Google Search engine result into Excel, too.
7. Backlink Analysis To analyze backlinks with Excel, collect backlink data with tools such as Ahrefs, Majestic
, or Google Browse Console. Then, import it into Excel and utilize it to evaluate your backlinks in a number of methods: Who connects to you: Usage Excel’s sorting and filtering tools to filter the data and use the IF function: IF(logic, true_value, [
- false_value] to arrange and recognize domains connecting to you. What do people link to: Sort and filter to see the anchor text utilized frequently for your backlinks (using frequency/count). When did people link
- to you: Organize the information by date to see how old your links are and when most of your backlinks were obtained.
- Find patterns or patterns in your backlink profiles with pivot tables, groups, charts, and graphs by combining your backlink and sales or conversion data. Highlight specific information based on particular conditions with conditional formatting. This makes it simple to identify backlinks from high-authority sites or backlinks with specific anchor text. Summary Many individuals ignore Excel either because they believe it’s too fundamental to be of much usage. Or it looks too challenging or overwhelming to learn. However those people who use it understand simply how
effective it can
be and the unlimited possibilities it supplies. Ideally, these tips will help you craft better strategies, discover brand-new chances, and tell your story with
better reports and dashboards. Included Image: Paulo Bobita/SMM Panel