Today’s Ask An SEO question originates from Nick, who asks:
“What period is most helpful for a content audit? My traffic changes based upon Google Algorithm updates and there is also some seasonality. Should I use one year of performance data to influence my method or would it be much better to utilize smaller portions of data?”
Excellent concern, Nick!
There is no right or wrong answer for when to do a content audit, as each website is distinct, but there are signals it is time to do a material evaluation.
And an annual performance audit does not harmed either.
One thing to be careful of is changing things even if you got a temporary ding, a C-suite executive panics due to the fact that of seasonality, or there are variations during a search engine upgrade.
Lot of times, when online search engine like Google update, they do a rollback, and good content and pages will come back.
Don’t depend on updates as a sign it’s time to audit your material exclusively.
Instead, utilize these:
- If traffic has actually plateaued and great pages that ought to be ranking are not. (After tech and structure concerns have been fixed)
- Material that was always in the leading positions has slipped or begun to slip, and your content is equal to the pages replacing you.
- When the busy season is 6 to seven months away, and you do not have your rankings.
- Yearly examinations by classification, and page.
When traffic plateaus, however you have actually been including content routinely for a while, it is a good idea to take a step back and look at the content you’re publishing.
If you’re not getting new traffic, do you already have a page getting the very same kind of traffic from SEO?
If yes, change topics and find brand-new things that can generate your audience while staying pertinent to your core products, services, and offerings.
You don’t want to cannibalize the page or pages that are working. However do not simply take a look at SEO traffic and keep writing about the exact same topic– look at your user base and audience.
Have individuals on social networks stopped sharing and clicking through to your pages?
When this happens, you’re likely publishing subjects that are not interesting to your user base, or you’ve overdone it on those topics, and they’re tired of the exact same thing.
Take a look at other types of material that fulfill the requirements of the same user base.
I.e., if your target is single dads with more youthful children and you offer books, think of other “single father problems.” It could be hairstyling, planning birthday parties, searching for clothes, introducing your child to your new loved one, and so on.
Each of these topics will have matching books that can cross-sell your content and provide options for your audience’s needs. And the subjects allow you to deal with influencers in your niche and develop cross-promotional marketing campaigns with complementary companies.
This, in turn, constructs exposure and can result in natural backlinks.
It’s a big win and can assist get your traffic growing once again for a pertinent audience while feeding other channels and helping your company grow across the board.
You, as an SEO pro or copywriter, become the hero and can earn a seat at the marketing planning table.
Pages And Categories That Are Slipping
If you observe pages or categories on your website are slipping, this is a good time to examine them.
However don’t simply start pulling, pruning, and rewriting. Initially, take a look at:
- What has changed you in the search results?
- Which topics do they cover that you don’t? Consider how you can naturally integrate them into your own content if they are relevant.
- The number of backlinks and internal links do they have if their page is getting “genuine” media coverage? Why are they getting it and you are not? When do they prioritize their content? Are they offering it a boost with extra signals via internal links (specifically from pages with quality backlinks)?
- Do you have appropriate schema and website structure, and are your pages filling quickly and offering options?
- Has anyone published similar material within your website that could be contending? Utilize an SEO tool to group a keyword cluster, and after that aim to see if numerous pages on your website are all appearing for these. If you have completing pages, you might wish to integrate some, delete some, or reword a few of them to be more clear about the benefits to the visitor.
Around Six Months Out From Seasonal Traffic
When you have to do with 6 months from your hectic season, check to see if you’re currently appearing for your most important terms.
If you’re not, do the same workout as above, and start taking a look at how you can improve your copy.
I start around eight months ahead of time, however that’s because I like to do more screening than is necessary– six months suffices time so you can get to content and code freeze three or 4 months prior to your hectic season starts.
Pro-tip: Do not split test natural traffic and pages.
This fails in many ways. Instead, produce a strategy, test copy, and wording for conversions via pay per click, and after that present the best experience with time to watch how it indexes and ranks.
It is constantly a great concept to do a yearly examination.
You likely understand what your best-performing copy is, but maybe the category of your site isn’t getting exposure. This is easy to discover in a lot of analytics bundles.
Sort by SEO traffic, then show by classification folder (collections if you’re in Shopify), and you’ll see how the categories are carrying out.
From there you can customize the site structure, develop internal links, and look for missing out on areas.
You can likewise more quickly find if copy and H tags are working on categories, and find classifications that got skipped over.
Another huge find in this workout is when posts that utilized to carry out well fell, however others took their location. You can see this with a time comparison, and then renovate the pages that fell if needed.
When you find that traffic is steady because one post took control of as an acquisition from another, you now have an opportunity to double your traffic.
Work on getting the pages that fell back and preserve the current one. Fixing older pages can sometimes be more efficient than developing brand-new ones, and it is much easier so you can save time.
There is nobody size fits all for when to do a content SEO audit, but these are four good times to do one.
I hope this helps.
Included Image: Andrey_Popov/ SMM Panel